Eat Fat to Burn Fat!
Countless studies show the importance of eating essential fatty acids to maximize your metabolism – burning fat more effectively.
Essential fatty acids are healthy fats such as avocados, olive oil, flax seed, and fish oil.
The more you can add them to your diet, the more effective your body becomes at fat burning. This, along with killer workouts is how I always lose weight over the holidays!
So, how do I add healthy fats to my holiday meals? With creative recipes like the one below, from fellow nutrition coach Karine Losier. Try it – I know you’ll enjoy these cupcakes!
Cappuccino, Fig and Quinoa Cupcakes with Roasted Coffee Frosting
Makes approx. 15 cupcakes
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- ¼ cup almond meal (flour)
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or ½ teaspoon of Stevia
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup dried figs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons espresso (strong) coffee
- 1 egg white, beaten to stiff peaks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat the oven to 340°F. Prepare the cupcake tin by lining it with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, almond meal, cacao & baking soda into a bowl, add the sugar or stevia & mix well.
- Combine the applesauce, oil, coffee & vanilla in a separate bowl, whisking well.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture & combine well.
- Fold through the beaten egg white & figs.
- Place into the prepared cupcake cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Roasted Coffee Frosting
- ¼ cup coconut oil (not melted)
- ½ teaspoon organic coffee extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut milk, unsweetened & organic
- ¼ teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- Using an electric mixer blend the coconut oil with the arrowroot powder until light & fluffy.
- Add the coffee extract, coconut milk, & stevia & mix well.
- Mix in the almond meal by hand.
- Refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes before using on your cupcakes.
Let me know how you like these!